Efficacy of Mirogabalin for Taxane-associated Chemotherapy-induced Peripheral Neuropathy in Perioperative Chemotherapy for Early Breast Cancer

By

In Vivo. 2024 Jul-Aug;38(4):1935-1938. doi: 10.21873/invivo.13649.

ABSTRACT

BACKGROUND/AIM: Treatment with taxanes can result in chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN). We investigated the efficacy and safety of mirogabalin for the treatment of CIPN in patients who had been administered perioperative chemotherapy including taxane-based agents for breast cancer.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: We retrospectively analyzed the case of 43 patients with early breast cancer who received a taxane as perioperative chemotherapy and were administered mirogabalin at the diagnosis of CIPN.

RESULTS: Thirty-six patients (83.7%) had grade 1 CIPN and the other seven patients (16.3%) had grade 2 CIPN. The median mirogabalin dose was 10 mg (5-30 mg). CIPN improved from grade 1 to 0 in 12 patients (27.9%) and from grade 2 to 1 in one patient (2.3%); 13 (30.2%) patients thus had an objective therapeutic response. There were no cases in which chemotherapy was reduced or discontinued due to CIPN. Adverse events were evaluated by Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events and included five cases of dizziness (11.7%), three of somnolence (7.0%), and two of nausea (4.7%), all of which were grade ≤2. There were no cases of serious (grade ≥3) adverse effects.

CONCLUSION: Mirogabalin may be effective and safe for treating CIPN of patients who receive a taxane in a perioperative breast cancer setting.

PMID:38936921 | DOI:10.21873/invivo.13649